The Oklahoma Book Festival will present approximately 75 to 100 authors from Oklahoma and elsewhere whose books are published either in the previous (2018) or current (2019) year of the Festival. Authors of all genres are invited to apply. All invited authors will be featured either in a panel or as a solo presenter; the Festival does not feature authors for book signings only.
The Festival will feature headliner authors with ticketed events.
Criteria for submission
Please read all of the following information before submitting a book to the Festival:
To be considered for this year’s Festival, the book should be published the previous (2018) or current (2019) year of the festival.
Please send or have your publicist send the following:
- Two copies of the finished book/galley/ARC/manuscript. Electronic submissions will not be considered.
- A press kit with clippings, reviews, author bio, marketing plan for the submitted book, and list of previously published titles. A press kit may be submitted electronically.
- Topics which you are available to discuss.
- Publisher and publicist contact: email, phone, & address.
- Information about your ability, or your publisher’s ability, to fund your own travel to Oklahoma.
Please mail these items to:
Oklahoma Center for the Book
200 N.E. 18th Street
Oklahoma City, Ok 73105
When a book is selected for the Festival, the publicist or author will be contacted.
August 1, 2019
Who decides which authors are invited?
The Oklahoma Book Festival committee considers the submissions and chooses who will be invited and who will moderate.
What types of books are considered?
- Fiction–both literary and popular: thrillers, Westerns, romance, science fiction, etc.
- Narrative nonfiction: history, biography, memoir,
- Cookbooks and food-related titles
- Children’s and Young Adult Literature
- Art and Architecture titles
Should a self-published/printed author submit?
Self-published titles will only be considered if they meet the following criteria:
- The title is bound
- Printed copies can be available for our book seller to sell
- A professional has edited the work
- An established marketing plan has been made and is submitted with the title
- A functional author website exists
Self-published winners and finalists of the Oklahoma Book Awards will also be considered.
The consideration for self-published titles will meet all the above criteria. For the 2019 Festival, we will not accept self-published titles that exist only in ebook format.
What other options are there for self-published authors and authors not chosen?
We urge you to be involved in the Festival by being an Exhibitor. Note that the authors who participate as exhibitors are distinct from those who are invited to participate in the festival as featured authors. If you register as an exhibitor, your location and listing will be in the exhibitor section of the website and program.
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 405-522-3383.